I can't believe it's been 10 years since the towers fell. It was my senior year of high school, and I didn't have 1st period classes (pretty sure it was a Friday, right? I know I wasn't in class though) because I was taking college courses that only met Monday-Thursday. I didn't have a car, so I was at school waiting in the band room for 2nd period. Some friends of mine who had cars got to school later and told me that a plane had just hit the one of the World Trade Center buildings. At first, it didn't even register. I wasn't even sure where the buildings were, let alone their importance. Then I remembered my aunt lived in NYC, and I started freaking out. I had no idea where her building was. (Not there, btw)

We didn't acknowledge anything during band because it was easy to play loud and keep the tv off. Maybe that was best because we missed seeing the second plane hit. By the time I got to third period, all tv's were on, and everyone - students and teachers - were glued to the tv in horror and amazement. We couldn't believe what was happening. I wanted to cry, but I was too shocked to do anything.
Then I remember all the heroes that showed up that day: the plane that was headed for another building and was stopped by the brave passengers on board so that it crashed in the middle of a field instead...

the police officers and firefighters and others who ran into the buildings to save more lives...

and all of those who just were there for the hurting.

And to think that the students I will be (eventually) teaching this year weren't even born then. This will be my first class of students who were all born after the towers fell.
Today is supposed to be where I post my two favorite songs. I could only really think of one in particular right now, but I felt it would be much more appropriate to post two songs about that day that I still love to hear now.
Remember When by Alan Jackson - This actually became our unofficial senior song. I was a little annoyed to be labeled as the class when the towers fell, but it was probably much more appropriate than anything we actually voted on. I do love the song. He captures the feelings of that day so well.
Angry American by Toby Keith - This one still gets me at how quickly it seems we went "back to normal" and seemed to forget about what happened. Leave it to Toby Keith to say how it is without holding back!
No comments:
Post a Comment