Here's my dilemma. I'm going to be working specifically with struggling readers in grades 3-5. These kids need as much exposure to reading as possible, but does that mean that a traditional word wall is the way to go? I will be in a very small room and will possibly be doing more push-in than actually working with students in my room. Plus my feeling is that I could and would rather have them searching through books they're reading to find words that fit into a pattern I may be teaching.
I saw that Tonya at Tonya's Treats for Teachers is using hooks to keep her words together (very similar to the pockets), so students can still use it, but it takes up a lot less space.
Here are my questions:
1. Should I keep the traditional word wall so words are constantly on display?
2. Should I have a rotating word wall (also on display) that focuses on skills/vocabulary important for that particular time? - I probably will at least do some form of this anyway.
3. What is your opinion of the word wall on hooks? Do you think it could work for my situation? Or do I even need it?
HELP! I want to get into my class next week (if it's ready), and I want to start preparing things like this.
3 comments:
You could do a traveling word wall, call it a word wallet. The students put the words or you can write them on index cards & use a ring to keep them together. They can pull these out when they need them, or add to the word on the back (def. Sent. Synonyms, picture). I use these for vocabulary in my 5th grade class.
You could have a portable word wall. Mine includes the 100 "no excuse" words for third grade. I also have a portable word wall for 1st and 2nd which stays in my room as a writing resource. Anyway, I think I'm going to try the 3rd grade portable word wall this year because 90 students will be rotating to my room for language arts. They'd be able to take the portable word wall to their other classes.
Hi, Melissa!
I love your blog! I'm going to have my word wall on the SMART Board so it's interactive. I like your ring idea though because it doesn't take up as much space and you can add an endless amount of words to the ring.
I am nominating you for an award. Visit my blog to pick it up. :)
By the way, we are almost (an hour apart) neighbors...I live in Fredericksburg!!
Alex
Post a Comment