Pages

Books You'll Love to Read With Your Little Ones

8.02.2012

First classroom pics, decor woes, and band camp?

As I've mentioned a few times before, I'm changing positions at my school this year. After teaching 4th grade in the same room for the past five years, I packed up what was mine and prepared to move into my new room in the middle of the school. I've been nervous about getting in because, unlike my old room where I had it down to a science and could pretty much finish in a day, I have to go through what's already there and figure out my own system of organization. Yesterday was the first time I was able to get in (I believe they actually just finished cleaning my room Tuesday), and my focus was getting the furniture in place. I got there around 10 and didn't leave until close to 4 (there was a nice lunch break thrown in and a little bit of socializing with my former team who was there meeting, but I was working for a good 3 hours at least).

I've got a lot of decorating and organizing left, which still scares me because I only have one more week of summer left. EEEK! It was supposed to be 3 (with a few days already spoken for), but I signed on to coach colorguard at the high school. That means band camp. And apparently they do 2 WEEKS of band camp! Other than that, I'm really excited. I did colorguard in high school (Sorry, no pictures here. That was over 10 years ago. Maybe I can find some next time I go to my parents and scan them in.), and it's something I really enjoyed. Coaching will be a great excuse for me to play with a flag without my neighbors thinking I'm a weirdo. I'll have 6 girls, AND I get to go to football games for free!

Anyway, here is what it looks like so far. Keagan had to come with me (see him peeking around his stroller?), and he was SO good. Well, minus his little breakdown in the Rose & Crown. Oops! I always feel bad whenever he does that in a restaurant...or anywhere in public. I don't want to be "those people" with the baby that make everyone cringe. Sorry, squirrel! Moving on.
 I need to figure out if there's a missing key to that cabinet. One side is locked, but it's open. That will drive me crazy if I can't actually shut it. But I need that storage. Oh, and I have to figure out what to do with those boxes of books. They're all 5th grade level books (as in T-Z), and I work with low 3rd-5th graders. Not the best for me, but they were bought with Title I money, so I can't just give them away.

 I have a bigger, newer Promethean board! I was going to try and store all of the beanbags under it, but they didn't exactly fit. We'll figure something else out. How do you store beanbags?

My "desk area" - I may have to get a cute little desk chair. And I wish I had time to repaint that bookshelf and rolling cabinet. They both need it (and there's a cute little bookshelf I inherited that could use it, too), but it's just going to have to wait until next year. I can't do that with Keagan. Next summer, Steven will be home with me (did I mention he'll be TEACHING next door to me? We get to be one of those teacher couples that have the whole summer together! So excited!), and I'll have all kinds of time! Oh, and I tore down the word wall. I've pretty much decided that each student will have their own portable word wall, and I think I'll have a master word wall to display on the Promethean board when needed.

I kind of want to do a carnival theme like this one from Schoolgirl Style. LOVE her stuff! 

Once again, I don't know how much I'll be able to do with the time constraints I have. I could technically go in after band camp, but it ends at 5 every day, and I'm going to be worn out and ready to spend time with my family. I don't and won't sacrifice family time for the perfect room. Can't do it. Maybe I can have my dream room next year...

Also, I just found a new 3rd grade blog that is celebrating their 100 followers with a giveaway. Go check it out!
Classroom Compulsion

2 comments:

Andrea Crawford said...

I remember all of that last year! I just finally got everything "cleaned out" from the Reading Specialists before me. Yes, there was about 25 years worth of stuff that had not been gone through and moved from different schools to different rooms! I hope you get that cabinet unlocked! Good luck!!

Andrea
Reading Toward the Stars!

4321Teach said...

Wow! We are kindred spirits. I was in colorguard 10+ years ago. (I wish elementary people could coach, but my school lets out much later than the high school. Good luck with coaching! Plus band camp is awesome! Hope moving into your new rooms is more efficient than as the days go by!

EmilyK