Pages

Books You'll Love to Read With Your Little Ones

8.12.2011

Where did that name come from?

I'm trying out this linky tool to see what it's like, so please help me out!


How did you decide on your baby's name? Is it a family name, a combination of names, something you picked from a baby book, etc?

We recently found out we were having a boy, but we've had names picked out (at least first names) since we started talking about kids. Both Steven and I have strong Irish roots, and we kind of wanted a good Irish name. My first choice was Aiden, but that became a hugely popular name a few years before we were even pregnant, so we started searching for other names. We browsed lists of Irish boy names and found Keagan, which we both fell in love with. I don't know of any Keagan's personnally and can only think of 2 others (one is a Food Network Challenge judge!).

The middle name has the fun story! We were talking to Steven's grandmother and discovered that his great great grandfather was named Drury Dalton and went by the nickname "Dude" in the 1800's. Steven loved this, and I didn't mind the name, so we decided to use it as the middle name. Steven wants to call our son "dude", but I refuse.

So there's our name, Keagan Drury! How did you come up with baby names?

4 comments:

The Koontz Family Adventures said...

For Isabella: Randy wanted to name her Isabel- but that was a hurricane I got stuck in with my ex and since Isabella is a name that was used on my mom's side we compromised to Isabella. Her middle name, Larken, was all my doing. The best theater role I played was Lady Larken in Once Upon a Mattress. I wouldn't give up wanting that name so Randy finally agreed to use it as a middle name.

Lillian: We let Isabella pick her middle name, Marie. It is from the kitten Marie on the Aristocats. (Don't know how we will break that to her one day.) We could not agree on a first name at all. In labor we were still debating. My choice was Anastasia, Randy's was Scarlet, and Isabella's was Lorelai. 20 minutes before she was born Randy was still looking up names online and said, "How about Lillian?" It was one of the names I had suggested in the beginning, so I said Yes!

Melissa said...

I love that he was still searching for names in the hospital! And Marie's a cute name...one we considered for a middle name if we had a girl.

Lauren said...

Well, Pip wants to name a future son (if we have one) Jedi Knight... He said he would compromise with me by naming him Luke Jedi Knight. Yeah... That's NOT going to happen. And he wants to name a daughter Philippa and call her "Pippa" (after Kate Middleton's sister)... and himself, of course. Also not going to happen. I like Sarah Joyce for a girl (after mamaw & grandmother). :)

Melissa said...

Aww, I had thought about using Joyce (or Joy for short) as a possible middle name for a girl. Jedi Knight would be funny though! Maybe Jed?