Pages

Books You'll Love to Read With Your Little Ones

4.10.2011

Carrot Tops are Green


I had classes all weekend, so that's what is fresh in my mind right now. One of the things we're working on this semester is creating a personal narrative. Eventually, it will be in PowerPoint format so it looks basically like a book.
Anyway, I chose to write about being a redhead, and I'm kind of proud of it. This is a draft, and I will be adding more pictures later on (preferably ones from growing up...mom and dad, can you send me some that relate to the things I wrote about?). Let me know what you think!


 Carrot Tops are Green

Growing up as a redhead, I've heard lots of different nicknames, but the one that really drives me crazy is being called a Carrot Top. I have two reasons for this:
1.  Carrot tops are GREEN, not orange.
2.  Sharing a name with this guy makes me sick.


But it could be worse...
I could be called a Witch. 


During the Spanish Inquisition, redheads were burned at the stake. People believed the red hair color was proof that they had actually stolen fire from hell and therefore had to be destroyed. 

Another thing that always bugged me about being a redhead was my fair skin. I would try to tan every year, but it always resulted in a painful red hue followed by more freckles. After getting sun poisoning for my 16th birthday, I finally gave up and stocked up on SPF 50. The only tans for me now come in a bottle.


But it could be worse…

I could be a vampire.


Greek Mythology believed that redheads turned into Vampires after they died. I wouldn’t even be able to go out in the sun or enjoy the foods I loved, although I’d be pretty popular right now thanks to Twilight.


The last thing that bugs me about being a redhead is that we have to match our clothes to our hair. When I was little, my favorite color was hot pink, and all I wanted to do was wear it. My mom said I couldn’t because it clashed with my hair. I remember sitting in stores and pointing out red-haired women in bright pink to show my mom, but she never backed down.


But it could be worse…


I could look like everyone else!


The truth is that being a redhead makes me part of only 4% of the world. My red hair separates me from the rest of the crowd. True, there are a lot of other crazy myths about redheads – we’re untrustworthy, unlucky, have fiery tempers, and can’t be trusted – but this just proves that everyone is entranced by our red hair. 


Lucille Ball said, “Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead." You can either love me for who I am or believe all the myths, but you have to notice me.


Just please don’t call me Carrot Top.


No comments: