Pages

Books You'll Love to Read With Your Little Ones

5.15.2012

Reading Linky-Parties, Hooray!

I'm joining two linkies today, but they're both about books. Trust me, I could have gladly joined all four that I saw, but I knew I didn't have time (or your attention) for that. I'm so excited to be up to 44 followers, and I surely don't want to lose any now!


Jennifer at Mrs. Stanford's Class is hosting her very first linky party, and I just HAD to join!  It's all about what I'm planning on reading this summer.


Now that my master's is finished (yay!), I am looking forward to reading books entirely of my own choosing, and I have a few books that have been collecting dust waiting patiently for me to open them and give them some attention!

Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks
My mother-in-law lent me this book last summer and I began reading it just before I got my hands on a copy of The Hunger Games. By the time I finished those, school had started along with all of its craziness. I never got back around to it, so I'm excited about starting fresh and actually finishing it this time!

Vanishing Acts by Jodi Piccoult
I read a few Jodi Picoult books last summer (House Rules, My Sister's Keeper, Picture Perfect, and Handle With Care) and fell in love with her writing. I found this book at a yard sale and had to get it. I know nothing about it, so I hope it's as good as the rest!

At school, we're implementing The Daily Five for reading next year, so I will spend some time browsing this book and preparing.

Other than that (and raiding the Jodi Picoult section in the library), I'm out of ideas. I look forward to browsing your lists and Target's book aisle for more suggestions!

Miss Nelson is also having a linky-party for favorite read-alouds. 

I LOVE reading to my kids, so it was difficult to only choose a few books. I always do a few novels over the year, but I have some picture books that are also must-reads for me.

There's a Boy in the Girl's Bathroom by Louis Sachar
This is ALWAYS my beginning of the year book, and I can't get enough of it. I just love Bradley and his crazy stories. "My hand's stuck to my face!"

Blood on the River by Elisa Carbone
We teach VA History in 4th grade, and this book is PERFECT for it! It follows the story of Jamestown from the view of John Smith's apprentice. Very historically accurate which includes lots of gore that the boys love and girls squirm over.

John, Paul, George, and Ben by Lane Smith
Another historical book, but this time a picture book. Great for the Revolutionary War and just funny! You have to read the true or false facts with the kids at the end too!

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis
Most people are familiar with The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, but my favorite Narnia book is this one. My 5th grade teacher read this to us, and I fell in love! I don't read it every year, but it's one of my all-time favorite books period. I know not all of my kids will be able to stick with it, though, so I have to get a good sense of my class before reading.

The Watsons Go to Birmingham - 1963 by Christopher Paul Curtis
Another historical book, but this one is really funny too! Great read for Black History month, but you have to know your class can handle it. I end up reading it about every other year.

Finally, a new favorite: The Junkyard Wonders by Patricia Polacco
I fell in love with Patricia Polacco's writing while student teaching, and I knew a lot of her books were based on her own life. Until this year, however, I had no idea that she was dyslexic. This book talks about her experience in the "junkyard" (special ed. class) and how her teacher showed them that they were truly special. Have tissues ready!


Okay, I could keep going, but I PROMISED I would stop, and this is already long enough! Testing started this week at our school, so I am counting down the days until it's over (9) and then for summer break to be here (19). Very jealous of you who are in your final days!

3 comments:

Miss Nelson said...

Thanks for linking up. I need to read Junkyard Wonders. It's been on a couple of people's list.

Jessica Ann Stanford said...

Thanks for linking up!! The daily 5 and Nicholas Sparks are definitely on my list. Sparks is an old buddy of mine and I need to catch up with him lol

Jessica Stanford

Kelley Dolling said...

I have exhausted the Jodi Picoult train as well. I have only missed out on her latest one, but I am not sure how I feel about the whole wolf thing. If you like Jodi, you might want to try The Slow Moon by Elizabeth Cox. It's her only book, but it's fantastic.

Kelley Dolling
Teacher Idea Factory