
I grew up in south Mississippi where we got out of school every year for Mardi Gras because they gave up fighting against it. Now, I was pretty young there and not Catholic, so I never actually participated in the festivities (although there's an adorable picture of me somewhere with MILLIONS of beads...I was 2, and it's when we actually lived in New Orleans for a short time). Anyway, the one thing I always loved about it was King Cake.
If you've never had one and you're in the Richmond area, go to Martin's. They come in a special box in the baked goods section. These things taste amazing! I went and bought mine today so I could enjoy it again. It's basically a coffee cake covered in white icing and Mardi Gras-colored sprinkles. Then it comes with a "baby Jesus" that you hide inside somewhere. Tradition is that the person who finds the baby buys the next King Cake or hosts the next party. I just love the cake!
1 comment:
Oh my word...my dad is on his way RIGHT NOW to Martin's to get a King Cake! Whoooopie!
Post a Comment