Pages

Books You'll Love to Read With Your Little Ones

3.21.2011

Weekend in Savannah

I spent my weekend in Savannah with a group from church to check out Savannah Christian Church and how they run their youth and children's programs. You can check out their website and see some things, but to see it in person is really neat! They have huge numbers (they average 300 middle school students for Wednesday night services), but you can feel this energy from the members. Now if we can just scale that down for something we can accomplish at our level. But, hey, if God wants it, he'll bless whatever we do!

While we were down there, I got to show they around a little and even was able to enjoy a Savannah classic I've never done - The Lady and Sons!

I'm not really much of a Paula Deen fan normally and always thought the food would just be overpriced home-style cooking. I must say that I'm a believer now though. We didn't even think we'd get in, but we were in front of the restaurant about half an hour before it opened and figured it was worth it to see. They managed to seat all 7 of us together and got us in at 11:00! I ate the buffet, and it was the best fried chicken and mashed potatoes I've ever had.

After that, we walked around on River St. and I met up with my dad. He and I broke off from the group and hung out for a while, and we stopped at Forsyth Park because I'd never actually seen the green fountains for myself.

On the way back, we actually stopped at South of the Border, which I had sworn I would never go to. It actually wasn't as dirty as I thought it would be, but I was glad to be in a large group during daylight. I don't think you could pay me to go after dark. We stayed long enough to fill up on gas and stock up on some more food, then we were back on the road!

It feels good to be home though. When Steven brought me back home, John and Rudy wouldn't stop jumping up and licking me for a while. I think Steven was happy to have me home too!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fried chicken and mashed potatoes by Paula Deen??? I'm sold!!!

Melissa said...

It was DELICIOUS!!