Pages

Books You'll Love to Read With Your Little Ones

11.06.2013

How to Keep from Breaking the Bank at Christmas

I don't know about you, but Christmas this year has already started stressing me out and it's not even the end of October yet. 

Most of my family lives in Mississippi, and we have been planning to make the trip there this year for the first time in about 4 years. What we didn't consider was the fact that Keagan will be two (and 10 days), so we will have to pay for THREE round-trip tickets. Apparently airlines don't differentiate between toddlers and adults. No discounts there. Naturally this caused a bit of a freak-out session. It will cost a little over $1,000 just for the flights, and then there's travel and gifts.

Well, I refuse to let Christmas be overrun by money, especially right as Keagan is starting to understand so much more. So I've come up with a quick list of some ways that I am planning on saving money this holiday season to keep from getting stressed and losing sight of the real reason for the season. 

1. I'm using websites that help me earn money while spending it. I have been using Swagbucks for more than 2 years now and have earned 36 Amazon gift cards for $5 each. If you do the math, that means I have made $180 from this website without spending anything! Once you join, you automatically earn 100 Swagbucks, then you can get more every day by doing searches using their search engine, answering quick surveys, watching videos, or clicking through their website to make online purchases at stores you probably shop at already.
Note: I get Amazon cards because they're 50 points less than the others, but there are other options.

Ebates is very new to me, but I already like it! This website is just for online shopping. Like Swagbucks, you click through on their website to tons of online stores (pretty much anything you can think of). However, instead of just earning points to go toward a gift card, you earn cash back. Some stores offer 2%, but others will go up to 6% or maybe even higher. I've already made my two purchases (both on LivingSocial) only spending under $50, but I already earned a Target gift card for $10 for using their website for my first time AND I earned $2.40 cash back. Not a lot, but that means I made a profit off my purchase! If you're already planning on shopping online, why not use this site to help you get some of it back?


2. I'm going homemade! Every year, the gift list starts adding up and can get overwhelming fast. My sister-in-law had a great idea last year and did cute homemade gifts for her husband's family because there are so many. With Pinterest and all of the great ideas out there, this seemed like a great avenue for all of my aunts, uncles, and cousins. I also think I will do handmade gifts for my friends and co-workers. Here are some ideas I've found:

Crazy Wonderful: chalkboard coasters - tutorial
Who doesn't love chalkboard?
How-To: Etched Glasses for Father’s Day - could also do with mason jars
Maybe with mason jars and initials instead?
Martha Stewart bath fizzies
Bath fizzies for the women

3. I'm also shopping in online stores that offer great deals. These kinds of stores have been popping up EVERYWHERE, and I'm loving it. You've probably heard of most of them, but here is my quick list with descriptions. Click on the pictures to become a member of these sites and start receiving updates!

Both of these sites are very popular, and you probably already know about them. If you're traveling or need some help getting your house in order for company, this is a great place to look! They also have lots of spa deals, workout classes, and other fun gift ideas you can purchase for something a little more special. Keep your eyes out for email codes! I saved an extra 20% last week to get our house detail cleaned!
If you have expensive taste, this is YOUR site! They mainly have women's clothing and accessories from top brands (Tory Burch, Michael Kors, Jack Rogers, etc), but they also have men and children's clothing, toys, and home goods. I'm not big into many expensive things, but I love Lilly Pulitzer. I actually bought a really nice LP sweater from the site last week for just under $50, PLUS I had $30 in credits. You get $10 for every friend who joins from your referral, so please use mine and then pass yours along to more of your friends! 
PS: Tomorrow is another Lilly Pulitzer day - gift edition.






These three sites all have the same concept/theme. Cute boutique-y stuff (clothing, jewelry, etc) made even more affordable than it already is. Tight budget? Want some cute girly things? All three of these are great to look into! Groopdealz also has a referral program, but I don't think the others do.


And finally, Zulily! I haven't used this one much, but it's mainly for kids and moms. They have maternity sales and tons of kids clothing and toys. They did have a train set a few weeks ago that I looked into, and I am continuing to keep my eyes open for Keagan's gift ideas. Oh, and if you have a little girl and love Vera Bradley, they have a deal going on today!

So now that I've given you an overload of shopping ideas, what are some ways that you save at Christmas time?

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Great post! I have heard of most of these sites, but haven't really used them. I don't really have any great ideas about saving, but I really try to plan ahead and make a list that I stick to. That way I'm not forking out a big chunk of money in a matter of just a few weeks. Spreading it out really helps! :) I also love doing personalized photo gifts (like calendars for parents) on Snapfish. I always get emails with their specials, so I do it when the calendars are like 40% off or more!