Books You'll Love to Read With Your Little Ones
7.16.2011
Book Review: The Help
I ordered this book before we went to the beach hoping that I'd have it in time to read on vacation (Barnes & Nobles usually ships within 2 days), but alas, it had to be shipped from Nevada and didn't make it. However, maybe it's a good thing because I have been so engrossed in this book that Steven would've probably been annoyed that I wouldn't put it down and spend time with the family.
I'm not quite finished yet, but this book is fantastically written (some of the review compare it to To Kill A Mockingbird) and very open about how things were. It's based in Jackson, Mississippi during the early 1960s, and it's all about wealthy white families and their hired help.
Being a girl who was born in Mississippi, I know that there still is a lot of racial tension (which has improved drastically) and I cannot even begin to imagine how bad things were during the time period this book was based on. The book is an eye-opener, and it's amazing to think that this is Kathryn Stockett's first novel. Part of me wonders if she wrote it years ago and is just now getting the courage to publish it. She is from Mississippi.
If you haven't read it and are looking for a book that's worth reading, this is the book for you!
P.S. I stayed up last night until I had finished it. So good!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I loved To Kill A Mockingbird! I also loved the previews of this movie that I saw last time we were at the movies - so the book is on my summer reading list too! :-)
Post a Comment