Pages

Books You'll Love to Read With Your Little Ones

1.10.2012

Our Baby Story

I'm back!! Well, I've been kind of keeping up with reading your blogs, but that's been about it as I try to adjust to being a new mommy. I'm loving every minute of it, but it is definitely a full time job! Keagan is now 3 1/2 weeks old, growing at a decent rate (over 8 pounds now), and eating and sleeping as well as you would expect for this age. My favorite part of right now is that he's starting to become more aware of his surroundings. He's always had the cutest little facial expressions, but now I see him starting to watch things around them and find interest in them. He definitely recognizes a few voices and will turn his head to see who it is. He's also starting to hold his head up on his own!
So, our baby story...
We went in early Friday morning to be induced, which was a very slow process but fortunately not painful. I literally asked for my epidural as they were breaking my water, and I'm so glad I did. They put me on the list immediately, and I had it just as I was starting to feel enough pain to make me cry. I don't do well with pain, so this was perfect for me. Props to those of you who go without...I'm just not enough of a woman, I guess, and I'm fine with that!
:::THIS IS THE GROSS PART, SO SKIP THIS PARAGRAPH IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE IT:::
Moving on, I didn't actually start pushing until 7:00, so the morning was very slow and uneventful, other than lots of people in and out of the room and Steven going stir crazy. I pushed for about an hour and a half without any luck, so they had me rest for a little while and then try again. After a while and a failed vacuum (Don't get this..it's horrible!!), they finally decided it was time for a c-section. I was in quite a bit of pain from the vacuum at this point, so it was actually a bit of a relief to hear. The anesthesiologist came in and drugged me up quite a bit (btw, I learned it is TRUE that redheads get more anesthesia merely because of the red hair. Apparently we feel more pain that "regular" people. Yet another weird fact to add to my growing list), and Keagan was here at 9:44 p.m.!
:::SAFE TO READ AGAIN:::

He had to go to the NICU the next morning because of low blood/sugar levels, but he was only in there a few hours before we got everything settled down. They said that was probably because of stress from the c-section. We were there until Monday evening, and then they finally let us go home! When we got there, his Aunt Becky had done a little welcome home decorating!
This is now hanging above his crib in the nursery, where he will actually start sleeping in a few days. And one more picture of the happy little family...
Still trying to decide who he favors more. Most people say me, and I think he's going to be a redhead as well. We'll have to wait and see though! He's getting a little fussy and is ready for his mommy to hold him again. I will try my best to be more frequent with my posts as I become more comfortable with my time management!

2 comments:

Saving Our Way said...

Oh my gosh - so sorry you had to deal with a vacuum attempt & that it failed. I hear you on the meds with the csection. Mine ended up an emergency csection & they dosed me up where I was numb from my collar bone down. Freaked me out!

I spent half the csection thinking I was paralyzed. Mind you, I was a little loopy from the meds too. I spent half the csection periodically moving my head from side to side looking to see if I could move my hands! lol! My husband was like, 'what are you doing'?! My last memory in recovery after they'd given me a morphine shot & right before I fell asleep, was of me moving my feet & looking to make sure they moved, since I couldn't feel them. Was so relieved I wasn't paralyzed! lol! Isn't that weird?! I think I was just so tired from all of the days events, that the meds just made me loopy & paranoid.

Thankful your little guy arrived healthy. He is growing fast & is super cute!
:-)

Melissa said...

I could still tell that I could move everything, but it was so wobbly that I was too scared to hold him for a while that I would drop him. Thanks for the comments!