Pages

Books You'll Love to Read With Your Little Ones

8.14.2008

An Odd Job







I'm reading this book right now called "The Top 100 Women of the Bible", and it's very interesting because it lists a lot of women that most of us have never heard of. I just started it today, so I'm still in the "A" names. One of the strangest so far has been Abishag. She's mentioned in 1 Kings 1:3:

Then they searched throughout Isreal for a beautiful girl and found Abishag, a Shunammite, and brought her to the king.

Basically, she got the job of keeping the old and dying King David warm by simply laying with him on his death bed. Can you imagine being a beautiful young woman that is chosen to be a dying old man's personal body warmer? I don't know about you, but I'm not seeing this as a highly sought-after job. I don't care that it's King David...being that close to someone who's dying is NOT a glamorous job. I think I might have tried to make excuses or hoped that they'd find someone else to do it so I wouldn't have to.


Sometimes God calls us to do things that are a bit odd or uncomfortable. It's hard to remember that life isn't about us. It's about bringing glory to God and serving Him. Instead of complaining about what we "have" to do, we should focus on who we're doing it for and why. True, it could mean that we have to clean a few toilets or even wipe the butt of someone who can't do it for themselves anymore (that's probably the job I would hate the most...just thinking of it makes me shudder). We won't always love the things we're called to do, but we do them because we love the one who calls us.

No comments: